So you are a ninja with Javascript and think you are ready for the big leagues? How does one score a real job in Web development nowadays? According to the latest news, Dev Bootcamps are folding left and right:

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The hype is fading for coding "boot camps," for-profit U.S. schools offering graduates entry into the lucrative world of software development.

Is just being self-taught enough then? There are many free videos on Youtube that explain in detail the "MEAN" stack along with Html5 and CSS and a few good Facebook groups and forums(hint) but is that enough? I can't expect in 2017 someone saying "Oh, yeah we just need someone to build and support our company website so I hired my neighbor's kid to do it..."

Here is a typical posting on indeed.com for a Junior Developer position:

QUALIFICATIONS

1-3 years of experience in .NET development
C# programming language
Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services
WebForms
JavaScript

EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE

Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent

See that part right there where it says "Bachelor's Degree..." yeah, you will see that a lot. Having the skill is great, that's half the battle but the real world also wants to see the blood sweat and tears you put in to get educated. Really Educated. As I said to one placement rep, I know how but I need to show the employer I know why also.

So did we answer the question in the title? Simply stated find an accredited school that allows grants and scholarships to help pave your way. If you are changing gears in the workforce see if your present company will help pay for schooling. If you can't do that at least save up for udacity.com and get a "micro-degree" that Google and Amazon will vouch for. No one can take away your achievements on official paper. Even if you have to be a barista for a bit, having the proper Tech education will always allow you to get a good job, imho.

So you are a ninja with Javascript and think you are ready for the big leagues? How does one score a real job in Web development nowadays? According to the latest news, Dev Bootcamps are folding left and right: >SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The hype is fading for coding "boot camps," for-profit U.S. schools offering graduates entry into the lucrative world of software development. Is just being self-taught enough then? There are many free videos on Youtube that explain in detail the "MEAN" stack along with Html5 and CSS and a few good Facebook groups and forums(hint) but is that enough? I can't expect in 2017 someone saying "Oh, yeah we just need someone to build and support our company website so I hired my neighbor's kid to do it..." Here is a typical posting on indeed.com for a Junior Developer position: >QUALIFICATIONS >1-3 years of experience in .NET development C# programming language Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services WebForms JavaScript >EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE >Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent See that part right there where it says "Bachelor's Degree..." yeah, you will see that a lot. Having the skill is great, that's half the battle but the real world also wants to see the blood sweat and tears you put in to get educated. Really Educated. As I said to one placement rep, I know how but I need to show the employer I know why also. So did we answer the question in the title? Simply stated find an accredited school that allows grants and scholarships to help pave your way. If you are changing gears in the workforce see if your present company will help pay for schooling. If you can't do that at least save up for udacity.com and get a "micro-degree" that Google and Amazon will vouch for. No one can take away your achievements on official paper. Even if you have to be a barista for a bit, having the proper Tech education will always allow you to get a good job, imho.
Keeping the Peace...
edited Aug 12 at 10:17 pm

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft